Saturday, June 4, 2011

A cry of “THE REVOLUTION” Child..

Jet fighters flying so low above the house, I ran like a traumatized war child escaping from a pursuing rebel fighter only to bump into the shut door of my front door. Oh heavens I’m going to be killed today by these fighter jets. Someone save me please.
My saviour came just on time to open the door from inside the house and it was Daada(mom) standing in shock of my panic state and wondering why on earth is Paa Willie still afraid of fighter jets? Daddy wasn’t moved by all the drama I was causing but continued his painting of the exterior of house no. 13A.
When will these fighter jets stop flying over our house I questioned internally?
Daada replied, “When “THE REVOLUTION” becomes entrenched the jets will stop flying over our house”.
After such a dramatic day, I overcame the fear of fighter jets and rather turned 360 degrees to eagerly await the noisy sound of approaching fighter jets and start screaming in adoration JJ Lawrings, JJ Lawrings… instead of JJ Rawlings.
To us, the children in old housing estate, the sound of approaching fighter jets cause such an exciting frenzy in the estate that we deliriously look forward to next fighter jet to fly over.
Not in the distant future, Daada(Mom) started taking my brother Alex and I for regular sleepovers at the Medium Mortar Regiment Barracks with a relative.
It was such exciting trips for me always to the barracks for “holidays” because of the ride in the military pinzgauer.
I just can’t comprehend till today as to why I enjoyed the ride in the pinzgauer and if or whether my brother Alex did enjoy these trips likewise?
However rewarding the experience was for me in particular, I realized my parents always had loud and sometimes violent outbursts after our return from the barracks. I always hear my dad saying “ I told you (my mom) never to take my children to the barracks”. Daada’s response will always be; I am protecting them and it’s the best thing to do for them right now”.
Drama! Drama!! Drama!!!
Fast forward couple of years later, same children (Alex & Moi) sent to Ghana Young Pioneers boot camp in the bush between the Housing LA Primary and Middle school and the Military barracks.
All we learnt was
• The objectives of Ghana’s independence and its essence to our survival which serves as justification for “THE REVOLUTION” and its good for Ghana.
• The philosophy behind “THE REVOLUTION”
• Learn about the leader of “THE REVOLUTION” Chairman Rawlings.
I was the youngest amongst the large group of boys and girls and always the most eloquent in English hence the constant attention on me. I represented the movement very well with numerous revolutionary poetry recitals and speeches .
I was coached to recite with verve and audacity at parades and durbars.
Our compensation package include Milk powder, “green under” white sneakers from Cuba which always arrive in LEFT LEFT or RIGH RIGHT.. you know what I mean?….
These gifts were extraordinary incentives for every family to push their children in the estate to join Ghana Young Pioneers.
Another fast forward, I joined the “EDIKANFO YOUTH MOVEMENT OF GHANA” same principles and lots of after school activities to keep my friends and I busy all year round.
That was the life I knew growing up in “THE REVOLUTION” era.
JJ Rawlings was;
The saviour, JJ Rawlings was the Liberator, JJ Rawlings was the Freedom Fighter, JJ Rawlings was the People’s man!
Yes I said WAS.
WAS because what I read and hear in the media about Rawlings today is not the Rawlings of “THE REVOLUTION”. Why?
It is the preferred reverence and respect we accord the dead in our society that’s why the LIVING LEGENDS are constantly disrespected and abused?
We now call “JUNIOR JESUS” the TRAITOR and the DESTROYER because he refused to shut up against despondency, treachery, disloyalty, neglect, disrespect and stupidity.
You don’t disrespect the man who built a mud hut for you in the rainy season as visionless after you’ve survived the rains and built yourself a brick house. Even though he doesn’t live in your new brick house, his advice to you about building houses is still invaluable because he has the experience.
Call it rants, booms, barks or whatever, JJ Rawlings is the man whose charisma and courage formed the PNDC & NDC which held Ghana our beloved country together for 19 years.(I stand to be corrected).
Therefore, no individual or group has the moral right or courage to question JJ Rawlings.
I, who was born into “THE REVOLUTION” is bleeding in my heart and crying aloud about the abuse and disrespect some “MEMBERS” of the NDC are meeting out on my dear JJ Rawlings.
Now is the time to speak!
I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” . I am who JJ Rawlings fought for. I am the product of his Vision. I am the Sapling who must take the place of the chopped down plantain tree.
Washing your own dirty clothes in public doesn’t mean you are disgracing your family, but it could also mean your own house is not comfortable to sit your buttocks on a stool to wash those dirty linens.
The step children cannot ignore the sacrifice their new step-father has to make to legitimize their stay in his house. Therefore, the step - children must learn to accept the step-father unconditionally or they will ruin their mother’s new marriage.
I am not one of those step - children, I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” whose family broke up because of a mother’s unflinching devotion and belief in “THE REVOLUTION” to the detriment of her own family.
I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” whose mother was still campaigning for NDC on her sick bed .
I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” who received then Candidate Mills to my mother’s house after she passed.
I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” who JJ Rawlings & Nana Konadu welcomed to their office after the passing of my mother.
I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” whose mother was proudly buried in FULL NDC colours.
I am a child of “THE REVOLUTION” who has not given up on the principles of JJ Rawlings.
For it is the sacrifice of the lioness that makes her cubs become the head of the Pride.
Have we soon forgotten the relentless campaign platforms, formal and informal JJ Rawlings mounted to speak to the conscience of Ghanaians in 2008?
Have we soon forgotten our ORIGINAL First Lady Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings sitting and standing for hours as a party agent in 2008?
We never stopped them from standing up for NDC in 2008 elections, why trying to stop the Rawlings’ from expressing and exercising their free political rights in 2011-2012?
“THE REVOLUTION” that made us who we are today is not and was never a revolution that excluded or denied people from being part of the freedom struggle thus an abomination for those who are trying hard to quench the bush fire with a cup of water in the NDC.
The cry of “THE REVOLUTION” child cannot even stop the bush fire but can remind the detractors of the traditions and principles that made NDC an all-inclusive family from the NORTH, EAST, WEST & SOUTH of Ghana.
I conclude by saying; the disrespect against the LION KING gives room for the ugly hyena to encroach on the territory of the lion.
By the wise words of the late Ola Rotimi, “when Elephants are being slaughtered by the thousands, the death of a house rat is not noticed”.
Maybe the dry cry of “THE REVOLUTION” child will mean nothing to some but a lot to one person and that will be enough to stop the wailing and mourning in my heart.
Can someone tell me who to support? Maybe I’m in a state of utter confusion.
Regardless of my trauma in supporting my party, I believe the NDC is a more potent and reasonable party to belong to than the alternatives.
To you our dearly departed mother, the only bond we had was through the traditions of “THE REVOLUTION” now I speak for you from the land of the unknown, your sacrifice and toil cannot be in vain. We shall be united as a party and a family regardless of our differences and victory shall be ours.
From the sad heart of a lonely “REVOLUTION” child,

2 comments:

info said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
info said...

Young Pioneers and Edikanfo? Men, you are a true NDC man.

What amazes me in recent developments is the dire desire by some to shut out the Rawlings' at all cost.

What does the NDC stand for these days? People need to go back to basics to read more about the revolution to understand its essence. But hey! Nothing is written about the "Revolution" these days.

Armchair journalist of today screams and makes wild allegations over the airwaves. They relay on hear say and lead the masses astray. Just like Nkrumah, all his good deeds for Ghana have long been written on water. You only find the bad written on bronze but has the NDC done enough?

You cannot say today that the principles of the "Revolution" still exist. The NDC has long been infiltrated by the same people it sorts out of office in 1979.

NDC should rise up and get its name written on bronze. The in-fighting only plays into the hands of the unknown.

Platform4ghana

Tracker